This checklist is a great resource to reference prior to moving on-campus at UF. Prior to your arrival, we are happy to talk through any questions. Please call (352) 392-2465.
What should you bring to live on UF Campus?
- Ethernet Cable
- USB to Ethernet adapter (if your computer does not have a Ethernet Port)
- Entertainment Devices such as Xbox, PlayStation, Apple TV, Roku, Chromecast etc.
- For a full list of approved devices please visit our Entertainment Device Registration page
- Printers connected via USB
- NOTE: Wireless printers are not supported on the UF network and will not work. The best way purchasing a USB cable to connect the computer directly to the printer or visiting on-campus print labs. All UF students get 250 pages of free printing per semester funded by Student Government.
Steps before arriving on UF Campus:
Please have Your GatorLink User Name and Password handy before proceeding any further.
- Please review our system minimum requirement (Requirements)
- On your computer, open a web browser and go to getonline.ufl.edu.
- Using your GatorLink username and password, follow the prompts to setup your computer for DHNet Wireless Service
- Repeat for Wired Service Step 3.
- If your computer does not have an Ethernet port, you can skip this step
- NOTE: Do not add “@ufl.edu” after your GatorLink username and do not use your UFID number.
- If you get “Authentication Has Timed Out” error, this is expected and you cannot proceed further with the wizard.
- Once you are on campus, connect to SSID “eduroam” or plug in the Ethernet cable.
- A pop up box will prompt you for a username and password. Enter your gator link username and password to fully establish your connection
- Residents are encouraged to purchase a CAT6 or better rated Ethernet cable as a backup to UF Wireless before coming to campus.
- If you do not have an Ethernet port on your computer, please purchase an USB-to-Ethernet adapter
- Ensure your computer had fully updated computer protection software (anti-virus, anti-malware, etc.).
- Make sure your operating system is set to update automatically.
- Set Software Update to “Download updates automatically” on a daily schedule. You can find this in System Preferences under Software Update
- Stop any peer-to-peer (P2P) software, BitCoin mining, or other network intensive software from running automatically or uninstall completely.
- NOTE: Software that aids in downloading copyrighted content or violates the UF IT Acceptable Use Policy is not permitted.
- Change your GatorLink password 48 hours before you arrive at UF Campus. GatorLink passwords are required to be changed on an interval and this will ensure that you will not have any expired password problems.
- If you are bringing an entertainment device (a gaming system, Blu-Ray player, television, etc.) with internet capabilities, you will need register for it to work on the UF IT Residential Network. Visit the Entertainment Device Registration page for instructions on how to do this
- Review the DHNet Acceptable Use Policy to learn about responsibilities by using the UF IT Residential Network.
Once you are on campus, you will also be able to connect your mobile device to our network, and we have various connection tutorials available for getting your device online.
- Amazon Kindle Fire
- Blackberry RIM
- Windows Phone 7
Wireless printers are not supported on the UF network and will not work. The best way purchasing a USB cable to connect the computer directly to the printer or visiting on-campus print labs. All UF students get 250 pages of free printing per semester funded by Student Government.
Student Affairs IT provides computer support for all on-campus UF residents (students, faculty, staff). Please visit Get Help for more information.